Tuesday 4 June 2013

Back out of the bubble,

When I returned from my three weeks in the Disney 'bubble', I was itching to get back into it. Whilst in Paris, I began writing my own songs (though I'd done this before, I think these ones have a far more appropriate to the sort of sound I want to be associated with). I began to think about the 'next step'.

The questions that came to mind were, 'What do I need to do next?' and 'What is holding me back?'

  • Obvious things to me were that when I play gigs I literally turn up, sing, and leave. I don't have the knowledge to set up or use a PA system to sort the sound levels or qualities, nor am I capable of rigging up all the gear such as drum kit, mics, guitars etc. And it dawned on me that when I go back to London, wanted to kick start my new career, I will be held back by this. I need to be as self sufficient as possible!!!

  • I also rely on a guitarist, unless I was to rock up with backing tracks, (which I personally hate doing) I always have to find myself a guitarist if I want to accept a gig which is no good.  Yes, it is do-able but it is far from ideal. So again I WANT TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT!!    I need guitar lessons.... ! (I've owned a guitar for 2 years, picked it occasionally, tried to learn a few songs,but nothing's ever come of it)


  • I also decided, that what brought my moral down last year was not having a career. I do not want to wake up 30 and poor and as a struggling waitress on minimum wage. Its just not for me. So now I am clear that singing is 100% what I want to do, and my head is back on straight, I need to ensure that money is coming in so that I can keep justifying singing gigs even if they may not be paid. However, as I know I am completely unsatisfied in a flat, un-progressive job, I tried to imagine what I wouldn't mind doing if singing for a living doesn't work out or just takes a bit longer than I hope.        I  would quite like to work for a record company. It'd be perfect, as I could keep networking and learning about the industry as I work my way up through the company however the 9-5 formality of the job would allow me to keep doing my music in the evenings and at the weekends. PERFECT. So I would need to go into that, I would think, through the admin side, perhaps work as a receptionist or PA for someone. Except, I have no experience in office work. So I need to find a easy to get office job, to get some experience, to get a better office job, or maybe a personal assistant job, and so on and so forth until I have enough experience to apply for one with a record company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers