Wednesday 6 November 2013

Skype

I had a chat with Adesola last week when I was freaking out that I'd got stuck and couldn't really go any further as I thought I'd fallen at the first hurdle of writing a literature review. I had a lot on with work and though I'd done a lot of my research over the summer, somehow, when October hit, I panicked, had a new job, (which I've now quit as it was making me miserable and taking up allllll my time) and I didn't really Know what to do about finding theorists views on my topic.
Turns out there's not that many technical theories about starting a singing career, but there are lots of books. I've been  researching all different types of music books, such as music management books, independent music careers books, and recording industry statistics books. Some of which were more helpful with others. Luckily, like Anastasias pieces of paper - in her blog where she writes about achieving steps towards her career, I found by summarising to Adesola what I had actually done over the summer about progressing through the module, that I had actually done a lot more than I realised and I just needed to compile it all and get cracking with my giant inquiry essay. So yes I am trying to catch up on my blogging and put all these themes that I've found into practice as well as trying to get on top of that essay.

I do have a question for anyone reading this though.

Assuming:

You have chosen what career path you wish to take...
you have completed the relevant training or education requirements...
you are now in a position to start your career.......

WHAT IS YOUR FIRST 3 MOVES..IN ORDER OF HOW YOU WOULD PERFORM THEM.

WHAT ARE THE FIRST THREE THINGS YOU WOULD DO TO START YOUR CAREER. ???

or IF YOU ARE ALREADY ESTABLISHED IN YOUR CAREER... WHAT DID YOU DO FIRST??

please do get back to me, i'd be very intrigued to hear your answers...

3 comments:

  1. I am just starting to branch out into a change of career;
    My first step was education - I understood that I needed a higher level of qualification in order to be taken seriously in a new position so I decided to undertake this course at Bapp.
    My second step was writing a sound CV. My cv to date has a lots of job changes due to the nature of dance work (6 month contracts etc). I took advice on how to write a good cv from a person who regularly employs people onto his team.
    My third step is searching out jobs. Finding the right websites to put your cv on, the places to be applying to for jobs and where to promote yourself (Linkdin etc)
    I hope this is helpful, if you need anything further then just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, this whole question is slightly off topic, but it came up as i was doing m reaarch and i just wondered what other people thought about it. In terms of having a clear direction on where they want to go and what they need to do to get there. It seems like you were pretty direct about what you needed to do to get the new job and went out to get it, however other responses have kind of shown people just throw stuff out there and hope for the best. I no I was one, who just used to take opportunities as they came but as I analyse this research I am now looking at sitting down and creating a business plan for myself as a business. As a performer we need to think of ourselves as a business I guess and maybe thats where some of us have been going wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to analytical as performers because we are all driven by passion. Seeing ourselves as a business is a good way of doing things but it is hard. I think I can see my next path more clearly than my career to date because it as more about my life and less about my passion. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete

Followers