Wednesday 6 November 2013

'The Success attitude'

My inquiry is based largely on pre existing data, in other words, i've spent my summer, watching and reading interviews, reading autobiographies and biographies and articles about what people have already done to kickstart their careers. I think at times finding motivation for our careers (that do at times seem to be going no where..) can be difficult but actually I think at that point, taking a step back and rearranging my point of view really helps. I read a book recently that i'd just like to share a bit with you because i found it to be realy useful.
'This Game of hip hop artist management, the success attitude' by Walt F.J Goodridge, may seem like an unlikely book to find relevant to us little musical theatre types, but actually as I work my way into a career in music I thought I'd see what Walt had to say about careers in the music industry.

The whole beginning of the book spends time tackling the issue of the self and attitude. He suggests that the key to success is 'The success attitude'. Walt considers that there are 5 success attitudes each with there own key word: page 18
The Negative success attitude- Key word PESSIMISM, I cant succeed.why even try?
The Passive success attitude-LIMITATIONS, I might succeed, if someone helps me...all i need is the right person
The Positive success attitude-POSSIBILITIES, I can succeed, if i work hard towards my goals
The Active success attitude- PLAN, I will succeed, despite obstacles, despite other peoples issues i can succeed.
The creative success attitude- CREATION, because of other's issues and because of setbacks, I will succeed.
I decided after reading this that actualy, perhaps I'm a pessimist and at best perhaps passive. AND THAT IS TERRIBLE. As I touched on in a blog in the last module, the first place to start your career is having self belief. If I don't believe in me what on earth makes me think some one else will.
I really liked Anastasia's blog about motivating herself and her flatmates by publicly updating every day what she's done to pursue her career goals as one of the biggest common themes I've found during my inquiry research is 'have a plan, and have goals'. Updating something like that everyday would keep me up to date on which of my set goals I'm achieving.

The book also suggests the term 'ICE'ing your fears.
I-indentify yours fears
C- confront your fears
E- eliminate your fears

So, like the other interesting tips I've found during my research, I'm trying this out and noting down the outcome! But I thought it might be helpful for some of you with similar issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers